Simple tips to Look After Your Guinea Pig
Guinea pigs, also referred to as cavies, are friendly and pets that are inquisitive. But, they require dedication and attention that is regular ensure they remain healthy and pleased. Keep reading to discover how exactly to look after your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and will live for approximately a decade. Their friendly nature means they are great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. Nonetheless, when you do keep women and men together, make sure both pets will be the sex that is same at minimum one gender happens to be desexed.
RSPCA NSW doesn’t suggest guinea that is keeping and rabbits together. Rabbits can spread diseases to guinea pigs, plus they might bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them happy and healthy, they want:
- a constant supply of good fresh lawn or lawn hay, such as for example Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for using straight down their teeth that are continuously growing.
- fresh, leafy vegetables and natural herbs each day, such as for instance broccoli, cabbage (in smaller amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and lettuce that is dark-leafed; and natural herbs such as for example basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Keep in mind that carrot tops should simply be provided being a treat that is occasional.
- little degrees of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These need to have the absolute minimum fibre content of 16 %.
- a regular supply of supplement C, such as for example smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a continuing supply of clean, fresh water
Usually do not feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily associated with the valley
- pea nuts
- onion lawn
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require plenty of room to work out – the more the greater. She should work out every single day in a sizable, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to provide your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated timber to wear her teeth down, and overturned bins to disguise in.
Constant grooming is really important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay static in good shape. Regular management will additionally assist build her self- self- confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
It’s also wise to check out the duration of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are a long time, get realmailorderbrides.com/ukrainian-brides the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding techniques may help avoid many typical health issues, including breathing infections and epidermis issues.
It is crucial to pay for a flyscreen to your guinea pig’s hutch. Achieving this, in addition to maintaining her hutch clean, may help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are specially susceptible to this problem, that can easily be deadly.
Guinea pigs, similar to animals, may also be prone to fleas. Confer with your veterinarian about a suitable flea therapy if required. They could additionally have problems with mite infestations, that may cause vexation, locks loss and itchiness.
Should your guinea pig develops bald batches, this may be a indication of the fungal condition ringworm, so look for assistance from a veterinarian instantly.
To learn more about typical health issues, click on this link.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure should really be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. When you have two guinea pigs, they are going to require twice this room. They’re going to likewise require their particular, separate resting areas, which needs to be covered. You have to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, as this helps lessen the danger of flystrike.
Line the hutch with magazine and soft lawn hay to offer cushioning and steer clear of foot accidents. Don’t use sawdust, wood or straw shavings. Remember that your guinea pig needs a soft, clean, dry surface all of the time, or she can quickly develop base issues. Clean her whole enclosure frequently, and her bedding whenever required – frequently as soon as on a daily basis.
Maintain the hutch in a sheltered area which will be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from direct sunlight and strong winds. She should always gain access to sufficient color.
Follow this link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.